Pages

Thursday, December 09, 2010

{Christmas Around the House}

I have decided to go very simple this year with the decorations. I probably put out about 1/4 of what I usually put out and I am very happy I did. I'm sure my husband is also happy not to have to carry so many boxes up and down from the attic. This year I went with bright Whoville colors with a touch of black and white.


Most of the ornaments came from Target. Some of the striped ornaments came from my Dollar Store and I made the black and white polkadot ornaments myself.


All of my garlands and wreaths were in a few of the boxes that I didn't lug down from the attic, so I ran to Big Lots and picked up a plain $3 wreath for the back door. The polkadot ornaments I made myself with paint and glitter. The striped and plain glitter ornaments came from my local Dollar Store.


This little rocking chair belonged to my husband when he was a baby. The bird tea towel is from Teresa Sheeley.


This chef nutcracker was originally blue and yellow so I decided to give him a makeover. He now sports striped leggings and I also made him a little burlap apron. The "gift" behind him is just a small canvas wrapped in wrapping paper. I have a large canvas painting over my dining room buffet (sorry, no photo) that I also wrapped in red polkadot wrapping paper. It's a super easy and inexpensive way to add some holiday cheer. So giftwrap those canvases!

Normally these frames on my family room fireplace hold my girls photos but I replaced them with a simple number 25 and a couple of cute vintage Christmas postcards.


I have a pretty large collection of bottle brush trees in all sizes and I have them all over the house. My family says if there's an empty space I will stick a bottle brush tree there. However, like I said, I'm simplifying this year so only a few of my little trees made the cut.


I can't remember where I got these little Santa chairs but I've had them for years. This year I gave them a little paint makeover with some lime green paint. Every year at Christmas, they hold my dish soap and hand lotion. The soap/lotion set came from Home Goods a couple of years ago.


My simple mantel. I love these stockings from withlovefromalabama. On the right you'll notice another canvas wrapped in candycane wrapping paper. Those are lime green ornaments in a giant pickle jar on the right. Does your family love pickles? Well, save those giant pickle jars. Wash them, remove the labels and spray paint the lids and they are fabulous for just about anything. I'm trying to get my husband to make me some pickle jar lamps.



I have two shelves above my kitchen sink and this is where all of my funky snowmen and Santas live for the season.

I am linking to the following parties:

Centsational Girl Christmas Craft Party

Coastal Living Christmas Open House Party

Leelou Blogs Holiday Home Tour 2010 Party

Rhoda's Southern Hospitality Christmas Vignettes Party

Thrifty Decor Chick Christmas Tree Party

Hooked on Houses Holiday House Tours Party

House of Hepworths Hookin' Up With HOH Thursday Party

The Shabby Chic Cottage Transformation Thursday Party

Nester's Christmas Home Tour