Pages

Monday, November 02, 2009

Classic Films

I LOVE old movies! I can't believe there are people out there who won't watch "old movies" or "black and white movies". They don't know what they're missing. This is the perfect time of year to curl up with some hot cocoa and watch a great classic film. I have a long list of favorites but here are a few of my all time faves:

Rebecca. Love the book. Love the movie. I get sucked into watching this movie every time it comes on tv.

Witness to the Prosecution. This is a great mystery suspense court film with a "surprise twist" ending. At the end of the movie they show this disclaimer, "The management of this theatre suggests that for the greater entertainment of your friends who have not yet seen the picture, you will not divulge the secret of the ending of Witness for the Prosecution." I love that! So if you haven't seen this movie, don't let anyone spoil the end for you. Watch it for yourself.

To Kill a Mockingbird. This is a lot of people's favorite movie and I know why. Everything about it is wonderful. No matter how many times I've seen it, I always cry when Rev. Sykes says "Stand up, Miss Jean Louise, your father's passing." as Atticus is walking out of the courtroom.

The Women. Don't watch the remake. Yuck! Watch this! It's the perfect chick flick. So cheesey and funny. My youngest dd and I quote this movie all the time.

Rear Window. My favorite Hitchcock film. So suspenseful and fun to watch. It's one of those movies you've seen a hundred times but wish you could watch it for the first time again. I remember seeing it on tv back when I was probably in jr. high school and just loving everything about Grace Kelly. I remember thinking "What is that big charm bracelet she has on? I MUST have one!"

Philadelphia Story. Jimmy Stewart. Katharine Hepburn. Cary Grant. Enough said.

Some Like it Hot. It doesn't get funnier than this. (Plus it has Marilyn Monroe.)

Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House. I bet this movie is a favorite of a lot of bloggers. Building a dream house? Decorating? Comedy? What's not to love? Oh, and then there's the fact that I have always had a huge crush on Cary Grant. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Funny Face. Fashion, singing, dancing, Audrey Hepburn, Fred Astaire, and Paris...Perfection.

It Happened One Night. Another great romantic comedy. I'm always surprised how well this movie holds up to today. I feel like it's really timeless.

Margie. Margie is a movie that probably a lot of people aren't familiar with. I caught it on TCM one day when I was in bed sick with the flu and I just loved it. Jeanne Craine stars as awkward teenager, Margie, who lives with her grandmother, next door to the most popular girl in school. Margie is being pursued by a nice boy in town but has a little crush on the new French teacher at school. She's also trying all she can to get the attention of her widowed father, the town mortician, who lives across town and feels he's unequipped to raise a teenage girl. It's a charming movie and Margie is just about the cutest thing ever. I have no idea why but it appears this movie is not out on DVD yet, but guess what? I found it on youtube! So if you want to watch Margie, you can watch it there. Here's Part 1 of the movie.